Gillian Crampton Smith
(Sometimes found on the web as Crampton-Smith)
• Studied Philosophy then Art History at Cambridge University
• Worked as a typographer and graphic designer for books, magazines and Sunday Times newspaper
• Wrote and desgned teachiing materials on social topics for secondary schools
• Designed and programmed a page-layout programme for doing layout on the Apple II microcomputer
• Founder of the computer studio at St Martin’s School of Art, London. Started its graduate course, one of the first in the world, to help professional designers realize the potential of the computer in graphic design
• Personal Chair in Computer Related Design at the Royal College of Art. Founded its Computer Related Design (later Interaction Design) department and research centre. Chairman of the University's Research Policy Committee. Senior Fellowship (awarded to leading figures in the world of Art and Design). Memeber English Arts and Humanities Research Board, assessing funding applications in art and design.
• Worked as interaction designer at Interval Research and Apple in Silicon Valley, California
• Founding Director of Interaction Design Institute Ivrea (Italy), established by Telecom Italia and Olivetti for advanced teaching and research
• With Philip Tabor, started the Interaction Design programme in the Visual and Multimedia Communication graduate degree, Faculty of Design and Arts, IUAV University of Venice.
• 2008-11 Fondazione di Venezia Professor of Design at Iuav Univeristy of Venice
• Research Affiliate at MIT; adviser to the Sensable City Lab.
2012 Keynote speech at WIF Interaction Design Festival, Limoges
2012 Papers in Studies in Material Thinking (Vol 7) with Erika Rossi, Marco Righetto and Philip Tabor.
2011 Keynote speech at the ACM conference Tangible Embedded Interaction, and part of a panel with Don Norman and Bill Verplank;
2011 Key note speech at Design Principles and Practices, Rome, with Stefano Giovannoni and Stefano Boeri.
2010 Keynote speech at Sigradi (Sociedad Iberoamericana de Grafica Digital) Bogota
2010 “In Front of the Wave” in Index: un percorso di specializzazione in Interaction Design Experience. Ed. Sebastiano Bagnara, Mario Mattioda. Franco Angeli, Roma.
2009 Report of the Project ACRIB on new Technologies for Footwear Point of Sale
2008 'The Craft of Interaction Design' in ELISAVA TdD 25 | Design Research, Barcelona (also online here).
2007 ‘Foreword’ in Bill Moggridge, Designing Interactions, MIT Press, London, and Cambridge Mass.
2007 'Simplicity' and 'Interview with John Maeda' (with Philip Tabor) in LUX Issue 9, Foscarini, Marcon, Italy.
2006 ‘Foreword’ in Massimo Botta Design dell’informazione, Valentina Trentini editore, Trento, Italy.
2006 ‘Introduction’ and ‘More than one way of knowing’ (with Philip Tabor) in Sebastiano Bagnara, Gillian Crampton Smith editors,Theories and Practice in Interaction Design, Laurence Erlbaum. New York
2004 ‘Educating Interaction Designers’ in John Maeda, Creative Code, Thames & Hudson London
2004 ‘From Material to Immaterial and Back and Back Again’ (plenary lecture), Proceedings of the ACM DIS [US Association for Computing Machinery: Designing Interactive Systems] Conference, Cambridge, MA, ACM Press, New York
2004 ‘Formazione per ambiti contemporanei [Education for the Contemporay World]: Interaction Design Institute Ivrea’ in Creazione Contemporanea, Fondazione Adriano Olivetti, Luca Sassella Editore, Rome
2004 ‘Transferring Design Research to the Marketplace‘ in Bridging Concepts: Developing the Interface between Design, Education and Industry, EDF, Glasgow
2003 ‘Interaction Design’ in I.C.T. Design, Smau Industrial Design, Milan
2003 Editor (with Mario Mattioda and Philip Tabor), and Introduction in, Interaction Design: Almanacco 2004, Interaction Design Institute Ivrea, Italy
2003 Introduction in Giulio Ceppi et al. Mobile Embodiments, Interaction Design Institute Ivrea, Italy
2000 Foreword in Fiona Raby, Flirt, RCA/CRD Publications, London
2000 Invited contribution, Interactions, Design issue, Apr.
1999 Foreword in Anthony Dunne, Hertzian Tales, RCA/CRD Publications, London
1997 ‘Interactive Media’ in Journal of the American Institute of Graphic Art
1997 ‘The CRD Programme’, Interactions, Nov.
1996 ‘The Role of the Artist-Designer’ (with Philip Tabor) in Terry Winograd, ed., Bringing Design to Software, Addison-Wesley, Reading MA (published in Japanese, 1998)
1994 ‘Humanising Technology: Not Much Progress So Far’ in Design Renaissance, ICOGRADA/ICSID international conference proceedings, Open Eye Press, Brighton
1994 ‘Going through Customs: Changing Conventions in Architecture, Film and Interaction Design’ (with Philip Tabor), Human Computer Interaction, 9(1)